Orange-Almond Olive Oil Cake (using Sunkist Valencia Oranges) Recipe
This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sunkist. All opinions are 100% mine.
Have you ever wondered why Valencia oranges sometimes look like they are not yet ripe? You see them in the store and maybe you even pass them by because the peels are still tinged with green. I mean, those naval oranges sitting right next to them are fully orange, so you toss those in the cart instead. Well, I admit that I used to do that. Key words: USED TO!! I recently found out that Sunkist Valencia Oranges go through a natural process called re-greening. Valencia Oranges, also know as Summer Oranges may occasionally "re-green" in warm weather.
I wanted to create a recipe using the sweet citrus flavors of Sunkist Valencia Oranges, and this moist Orange-Almond Olive Oil Cake, that is perfect with a cup of coffee or a cup of tea, is what I came up with.
Orange-Almond Olive Oil Cake
an original from the kitchen of girlichef
- 240 grams (8.5 oz. / ~2 c.) cake flour
- 141 grams (5 oz. / ~1¼ c.) finely ground almond meal/flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- 322 grams (11.4 oz. / 1½ c.) superfine sugar
- ½ c. (4 floz. / 102 g) olive oil
- ½ c. (4 floz. / 119 g) almond milk
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges (~1 Tbs.)
- ¼ c. (2 floz. / 60g) freshly squeezed Valencia Orange juice
- ½ tsp. almond emulsion or extract
- ¼ tsp. orange extract
- 3 eggs
- 127 grams (1 c. / 4.5 oz.) powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbs. (15-30 g / .5-1 floz.) freshly squeezed Valencia Orange juice
- peeled, blanched Almonds (whole, sliced, or slivered), optional
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 10" x 4¼" tube pan (or a bundt pan) and flour lightly.
Combine cake flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a mixer, at low speed until smooth and well combined, ~1-2 minutes. Add flour mixture and mix.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Slide into oven and bake for ~45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Place entire pan on a wire rack and let cool for ~15 minutes. Carefully turn cake out of pan, flip right side up again and set it back on the rack to finish cooling.
Stir about half of the orange juice into the powdered sugar, add a bit more until smooth and the consistency you want. Drizzle evenly over cooled cake. Garnish with almonds, if using.
*I am sharing this post with: