Mushrooms in a Spicy Wine Butter Sauce Recipe
I have been feeling somewhat restless and somewhat pensive these past few days. Our Thanksgiving was quite but in spite of itself the dinner was quite a success. The dark horse of the meal, no pun intended were these rich and luscious mushrooms that were done and finished off in a lovely butter wine sauce. Like all good festive recipes, they have a story and a couple of versions before they are ready to be captured in their current form.
In general, Deepta was not feeling good and given that she is the more adventurous of my two kids, it took the fun out of cooking a little. However, Aadi had made some turkey cut-outs and when people came the kids were thrilled to engage them in a game of the Scrambled States of America.
Mushrooms in a Spicy Wine Butter Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 4 cups of mushrooms (a mixture of white and cremini mushrooms)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup of white onions, cut into a fine dice
- 2 pods of pressed garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 cup of red wine (I used a Cabernet)
- 1/2 cup of white wine (I used a a pinot grigio)
- 8 to 10 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons minced green chilies
Method of Preparation
1. Quarter the mushrooms, set about 1/4 cup aside.
2. Place the remainder in a ovenproof dish and place in a 325 degree oven.
3. Heat the oil on medium heat and add the butter and wait till it is melted.
4. Add in the onions and the garlic and cook on low heat for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions will soften and gradually melt into the butter and then begin to turn a pale golden color.
5. Add the wine in batches about 1/3 cup every few minutes, and cook for 10 minutes after each addition.
6. Once all the wine is added bring to a medium temperature and add in the cloves and salt and the mushrooms which should have released water at this point.
7. Simmer the mushrooms for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Add in the reserved mushrooms and the chilies and cook for another 5 minutes before serving. The reserved mushrooms are much lighter and therefore they offer a good contrast of colors.
Note: this dish can be served at room temperature if desired.