Layered Chopped Salad Recipe
So on Good Friday everything is closed. Did you know? I forgot. I think I did the same thing last year… left my house all calm and cool, list in hand only to call my husband 3 minutes later, panicked “Every thing is closed!.”
So much for my quick run to the store to grab some fresh stuff for dinner. I like big salads and I had grand plans to construct something green and savory for our holiday meal. Well…. let me tell you, not much green at the 24 hours drug store. I managed to find a bag of romaine hearts and a pint of cherry tomatoes a bit past there prime.
Luckily I had some neglected veggies in my crisper —- halves of many things apparently …
This is a layered and naked salad. I assembled it long before my guests arrived and served a variety dressings on the side, including this one I made myself. You could toss it just before serving if you have a favourite. But I like to give everyone a choice and the nice thing about this approach is the leftovers don’t go to waste.
Layered Chopped Salad
- 2 Romaine hearts, shredded
- half a 5 oz box of spinach baby spinach. very roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of red onion diced
- 1 cup of each cooked quinoa and chickpeas
- small bunch of kale, shredded
- about a quarter of a head of purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 green onions sliced
- a few kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- half a yellow pepper and half a red, diced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, roasted
I roasted the cherry tomatoes in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350 concentrating their sweet flavour.
Layer vegetables in the order listed above. The onions will flavour the quinoa slightly as they hang out in the middle.