United States Chef
Rose Levy Beranbaum Chef Profile
When people ask me what my proudest accomplishment is, without hesitation I tell them it is my connection to the world through my work. Since writing the cake bible in 1988 I have received thousands of letters and more recently e-mails with responses and questions. I probably could have written another book in the time it took to answer them all but it was worth it. Sharing my recipes, ideas, and stories, I have received so many more in return. Is there a better feeling than having touched another person’s life in a favorable way? I’ve met kids who have grown up with cake bible birthday cakes, people who have launched businesses with the recipes, and even a woman in Holland who taught friends from Egypt how to make my bread recipe so that when they moved to a small town in Italy with no bakery they would not be deprived of artisan bread. I recently heard from a woman in Samoa who is making my multi-grain bread for her German husband who missed the bread of his childhood. Story after moving story—this is the power, immediacy, and joy of the internet to join people from all over the world, enriching our lives and connecting us to the universe.
I am currently writing a comprehensive four color book on cakes for Pam Chirls, Senior Editor at Wiley, to be called Rose's Heavenly Cakes. I have also recently launched a new product line, Rose Levy Bakeware, and have produced Rose's Heavenly Cake Strip, a silicone halo that produces more even layer cakes, both distributed by Harold Imports.
Awards, Honors and Societies
JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION, D'Artagnan Award 2004
NEW YORK, May, 2004 Rose Levy Beranbaum is inducted into the Who's Who of Food and Beverage in America.
FOOD JOURNALISM AWARDS, 2001 The Association of Food Journalists - Best Food Feature in a Magazine and The Jacob’s Creek World Food Media Awards - Best Food and/or Wine Feature in a Magazine
The Cake Bible, 1988
• Winner of the IACP/Seagram Book of the Year
• Winner of the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade Showcase Award.
Bernachon's A Passion for Chocolate, 1989
(translated and adapted by Rose Levy Beranbaum)
• Winner of the IACP/Seagram Best Book in the Dessert and Baking Category.
Rose's Christmas Cookies, 1990
• Winner of the James Beard Best Book in Dessert & Baking Category.
The Pie and Pastry Bible, 1998
• Nominated for the James Beard Award in Dessert and Baking Category
• Winner Best Cookbook of the Year - Coffee and Cuisine Magazine
• "Best of the Best", Food and Wine Magazine
The Bread Bible, 2003
• Nominated for the International Association of Culinary Professionals Award in the Dessert and Baking Category
• Nominated for the James Beard Award in the Dessert and Baking Category
• Winner of the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2003: "Best Bread Book in the World""
Buy Rose’s Products and Books at www.realbakingwithrose.com
Cookbook Author and Celebrity Chef
1988 - present
Price: $20 or less
- The Cake Bible (Rose Levy Beranbaum)
- The Pie and Pastry Bible (Rose Levy Beranbaum)
- The Bread Bible (Rose Levy Beranbaum)
- Rose's Christmas Cookies (Rose Levy Beranbaum)
- Rose's Celebrations (Rose Levy Beranbaum)
- Rose's Melting Pot (Rose Levy Beranbaum)
- A Passion for Chocolate (Rose Levy Beranbaum)