United States Chef
Norine Mungo Profile
Love to cook for friends and family. Can't help myself, I always overdue it! I am also always inventing something, it is usually good, sometimes great, and once in awhile, well, the dogs next door really love THAT stuff! Don't let my kids tell you about the wheat noodle episode. Yeah, wasn't too pretty, and that granola quiche wasn't the best experiment, but other than those two incidents, I think I've done pretty well in the kitchen. Oh, and did I tell you how many cookbooks I have?? I can't pass one up! I even have one from a great grandma called "The American Woman's Cookbook" from 1918. It is a real gas!!!
I love The Barefoot Contessa! Elegant but casual? That is my home, and my style. I can do the Emeril Bam thing for my husband, when I get mad enough and pour on the Cayenne, but there is nothing like a rich wine infused gravy, a well cooked meat, a sublime cheese sauce drizzled over just done steamed vegies, creamy red potatos roasted with rosemary you grew yourself, crusty bisquits with good butter, followed by a pistachio pudding in a chocolat cup with sliced peeled grapes on top!!! No, that might not be in the Contessa's cookbooks, but she influences me to cook that way!
Christmas morning is Latkas, and buffet lunch is crab cakes, shrimp puffs, and light cucumber sandwiches, followed by a dinner of italian roast, roasted vegie mix of eggplant, yellow squash, sweet potatos and large brown mushrooms dancing with fresh basil, with the Contessas version of macoroni with tomato and crumb topping! Great Grandma's Bread Pudding out of the 1918 cookbook is brought out steaming hot, served with fresh whipped cream for dessert, and for drinks, really thick hot chocolat with a pepermint stir stick!! I know, like I said, I over due it!!! But.......YUMMM!
- The American Womans Cookbook 1918 (Collaborative)
- Everything from scratch! Something every one should know how to do!
Chefs I recommend
- Fats Machado (Santa Clara, CA)
- Taught me how to love and cook good meat, good cuts, thick and marbled!
Restaurants I Recommend
- The Green Iguana Largest Tiki Hut (Tampa, FL)
- Everything on the menue is great, resonably priced, and great atmosphere! Try the chicken nachos!
- The Sloppy Pelican (St. Petersburg, FL)
- Wow, great food, great price, try the luch menue, it includes a draft beer with dishes like fish and chips, or large deli sammies, not for the feint of heart, and great live music all week long. Try Thursdays, live open mic Florida Folk Music and food out on the open deck with dockside seating!!!
Leave a comment
Sign Up — Free Membership it's free!
DailyCandy, Trendhunter, Eater, LaunchSquad, Mashable, Killer Startups & San Jose Mercury News