United States Chef
A native New Yorker, I am a food and travel writer who recently moved to Be'er Sheva, Israel. I keep a blog at www.katherinemartinelli.com/category/blog/, where I relay my experiences trying new foods as well as attempting to recreate familiar flavors from home.
My father, who cooked dinner from scratch every single night, is my number one influence. Even if it meant eating at 9pm, my dad would have an amazing, usually Italian meal and we would all sit down to enjoy it together. Since then I've had many influences, ranging from inspiring friends to incredible restaurant meals. Right now my biggest inspiration is the amazing produce, spices, etc. available to me in Israel. Every day brings a new culinary adventure, whether it is learning to incorporate tahina into every meal or figuring out how to prepare Chinese chicken with broccoli at home.
- The Joy of Cooking (Irma + Marion Rombauer)
- The best basic cookbook out there. This cookbook taught me how to cook.
- How to Cook Everything (Mark Bittman)
- Bittman's easy to follow recipes come out great every single time. I love his iphone/ipad app too.
- Around my French Table (Dorie Greenspan)
- Elegant recipes that range from simple to "maybe some day." But all beautiful and tantilizing.
- Clinton St Company Baking Cookbook (DeDe Lahman, Neil Kleinberg )
- My #1 go to for brunch recipes. And the fried chicken recipe is to die for.
- The Book of New Israeli Food (Janna Gur)
- The best cookbook on modern Israeli cuisine out there. Just gorgeous.
Leave a comment
Sign Up — Free Membership it's free!
DailyCandy, Trendhunter, Eater, LaunchSquad, Mashable, Killer Startups & San Jose Mercury News